Labels

Saturday

Green tomato Chutney

This one is for Tammy! I've had a fairly successful year with my tomatoes but sadly got a bit impatient a month ago and picked a load of them before their time. A lesson learnt for next year... But what I did get from this was a really nice batch of chutney.

My camera has died on me, hence lack of blogs & no pics here - will try to update soon.

This recipe is by Marguerite Patten - I'd strongly recommend her 'Jams, Preserves and Chutneys'.

Ingredients
900g green tomatoes
450g onions
450g apples (cooking) weight when peeled & cored
450ml malt or wine vinegar (I use malt, it's so cheap!)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ginger (depending on taste)
half to 1 teaspoon mixed spice
350g sugar
300g sultanas
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions
place the tomatoes in boiling water for at least a minute if not longer to soften the skins. Remove skins (this is not easy!) and chop
chop the onions finely and dice the apples
put all the ingredients EXCEPT the sugar, sultanas & seasoning in  a pan and simmer until tender
Add the sugar and stir over a low heat until dissolved, then add the sultanas & seasoning.
Keep simmering until consistency of hot jam (so quite thick -this took ages for me!)
Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal down with waxed circles.

Marguerite says you need to leave it a month to mature - which we have done with most of ours, but we did eat some straight away and it was lovely (chuntey rebels)

No comments:

Post a Comment